our stork was lost, but we found him!!!!…

infertility + 4 rounds of artificial insemination + in-vitro fertilization FINALLY = TWIN BOYS!!!!

building image
Add us to your reader.
rss feed




We are experiencing some technical difficulties, please be patient.

Max = Rockstar

Published by Kerry | Filed under Uncategorized

Max playing quietly in the pediatric waiting room

Taking a wagon ride around the surgery center

Coming off the anethesia in daddy's arms

Sleepy boy proving that purple isn't just for girls

Max’s surgery (circumcision correction and penis straightening) was a success!  A success in every sense of the word.  Success #1 is that our little guy was a total rockstar during the over two hours that he had to wait for the actual surgery to take place (with no food or water).  Success #2 is that I followed through with going back into the OR with him as he was getting his anesthesia.  I held him as they gave him a little bit of grape “laughing gas”, which made him really trippy and loopy, and as they started giving him the real stuff.  He started dozing off in my arms, and then I laid him on the operating table while he drifted off.  I will admit that this part was pretty hard on me, but I held it together and gave him a kiss before they led me out of the operating room.  Success #3 is that the surgery went off without a hitch.  Thankfully Max had enough extra skin under all of the scar tissue from his original circumcision that Dr. Furness was able to form a “beautiful sleeve” around the head of his penis.  All of the extra skin that had adhered to the tip of his penis was removed and reattached, which helped to straighten his little weenie up so that it now looks like a “normal” 17 month old’s penis.  Success #4 is that Max’s recovery went better than expected.  The nurse that was with him in recovery (before we were allowed in) said that he gradually woke up, blinking slowly, and drifting back to sleep, until he was a little more aware, which is when we came in.  He cried a little bit, but I think he was just frustrated at the IV in his arm, which was promptly removed.  His oxygen saturation (which is what we were most worried about since he was born prematurely) was great, and he even drank a little bit of diluted apple juice right off the bat.  We sat with him in recovery until he woke up a little more and ate a little bit of applesauce, and then we were on our way!  Success #5 just came an hour, or so, ago when he had a wet diaper.  That’s important because if he didn’t have one by 8 o’clock tonight, we would have to take him in – whew!

The timeline of the surgery went like this:

6:45 a.m. – Checked into the day surgery center at Presbyterian St. Luke’s Hospital.

7:15 a.m. – Max underwent a little “physical” of sorts – measuring weight, height, temp, O2 saturation, etc.

8:45 a.m. – This was the scheduled surgery time, but the previous surgery took a little longer than expected.

9:10 a.m. – Max went into the operating room for anesthesia – he had nitrous oxide to “relax” him a little bit, followed by a general anesthesia administered through a face mask.  They then put in a breathing tube (I’m soo glad I didn’t see this), and gave him a “baby” epidural to numb his private area.

10:00 a.m. – Dr. Furness came into the waiting area to tell us that the surgery was a success!

10:15 a.m. – We were able to go into the recovery room with our little dude – we just sat and rocked him and held him as he would wake up, fall asleep, repeat.

12:00 p.m. – The nurse showed us the damage, which was nearly as bad as I expected.  She told us how to care for it, how to keep him on an alternated med schedule of Tylenol and Motrin for several days, and then they sent us on our way.  We were given two sippy cups, two pairs of hospital socks (we couldn’t leave Wes out!), and a beach ball and Max’s face mask as a “souvenir”. 

We came home and Max slept for about 4 hours.  He’s up and (kind of) running around now, happy to see his brother and be at home.  It was such a great experience, and I’m so glad we finally got it over with!

July 23rd, 2010

4 Responses to “Max = Rockstar”

  1. Sarah Says:

    So glad all went well! That is the exact same doctor and surgery that Micah had – we called it the “longer, stronger dong surgery”. Someday the boys will love us telling stories about their first surgery. 😉

  2. angelika Says:

    Dr. Furness is so great! You know how I love him.

    Perhaps Nolan and Max can compare his handy work one day! 🙂

  3. stacie Says:

    Yay! So relieved everything went so smoothly! Lots of T&P that his recovery is quick and easy, too!

  4. Cathy Says:

    Just now seeing this, but so glad things went well!

Leave a Comment